View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb No basses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skelton View Post
I visited Cremona by train from Milan one time back in 2003. An easy day trip. Best to go early before the Italian rush hour when the station is packed. The museum on the stringed instrument museum is attached to the art museum and is reached by touring the art museum. No basses but fascinating info on stringed instrument making including a selection of Stradivarius's tools.
Note that the town closes for lunch other than the restaurants and is mostly closed at the weekend, with the exception of the museum. Back then the Lutier center had no basses on display but they called around and found one for me to view (which took soem doing on a Saturday).
I wanted to Visit Sr. Nolli's shop, but the day I was there he was away displaying at an exhibition somewhere, but I do remember passing his shop and noticing that it was conveniently located next to a bar that advertised live jazz.
Everything is reachable on foot from the station, but puchasing a map while in Milan is a good Idea, as it took a while to find one. Then it was a trip down narrow streets to reach the Lutier center and other points of intrest.
While in Venice there is a small church that has been changed to a musuem, which displays the Bottesini ( or Dragonetti) bass, together with a selection of historical DB bows. (I did this trip before taking up the double bass some years before the Milan trip). It also has a nice selection of classical European CDs including some solo double bass selections. If I can find the name of the church/Museum I will post (edit. it is the St Marcos Link in Anselm's post above), but it is one block back from the grand c****. Tourist information can help. They are very keen on musical tourism in Venice.
Sorry about the lack of detail, but I'm getting older and CRS syndrome is upon me!!
Have fun and pack comfortable shoes.
Actually there ARE Basses in the Strad Museum. The problem is they are packed away in storage since 1937! In the 1937 Expo in Cremona, Oreste Martini won the gold medal for a full sized double bass he made. All three medal winners basses of that Expo were forfeited to the Expo for the Museum. Because they were not Cremona Basses (from what I was told) they would not be exhibited in the Museum, ever! Just owned by them. These basses are packed away in some storage area falling apart no doubt. Win the award and your craft gets buried, literally. Unless of course you are a Cremona maker and then it will be proudly displayed. I am the proud owner and user of what is thought to be Martini's oldest and possibly his first bass made. In a few minutes I will pack it up and go to rehearsal with it. The 1937 gold medal Bass is sadly much less fortunate.