View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Playing the Hart..

I took the Hart out this morning for a dress rehearsal. It's only the 2nd time I've taken it out. Instead of playing the Martini as originally planned, I will use the Hart tonight for the Concert.

In a big hall like this I can really hear the tone and smooth sweet low end 'booom'' the Bass has. The Pizz is nice and the Arco even nicer. The low notes on the C-extension are so smooth and thick sounding yet easy to bow and as loud as any note on the Bass. This Bass is so even sounding I can't find words to better describe it.

I think I have found a new 'Concert' Bass to use. The Martini is fine and the Gilkes is fantastic. This Bass has them both beat combined hands down I think. The Gilkes seems louder I think when you play it but a different type of tone. The Martini seems to have some lower end floor-type spread in the sound. The Hart though is fairly loud, deep, clear, smooth, easy to play and did I mention beautiful to look at?

I used the Hart last week at a rehearsal and it felt bigger against my body than the Martini which I was more comfortable with. Today I had a 3-hour rehearsal and the Hart fit me like a glove on stage.