Thread: The Horror
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

I have a complete sense of humour failure when it comes to gear abuse.

I tore a strip off one idiot on basstalk after he complained that the SWR Triad cab I used to own (who he bought off the friend I sold it to) was crap because it couldn't withstand his onslaught of overdriven bass synth pedals (which forced it to take sub low transients). He'd been sold that cab in mint condition and after he'd finished, it needed a complete reconing. If it was a sensitive cab with a high SPL then it might have been understandable but Triad cabs have a sensitivity rating of something like -98dB so it would have taken some considerable abuse to blow the speakers.

I'm not normally possessive of gear like that, but the guy had started the thread, acting like he was proud of how demanding he was so I couldn't let it one lie. That thread was dead afterwards.

At some shared billing gigs another bass player sometimes used my rig without asking first. Usually its been due to the promoter taking the proverbial and telling the band its OK, so they don't have to hire gear for everyone. I usually tell them noone uses my gear unless I know them already. If I wanted to be asked back, I'll take the promoter aside and tell them what has gone on and that I'm not happy about it. I've even shown them that my gear is being redlined as the other band are performing. If the gear gets damaged then the promoter will get a bill for repairs and my time/travel expenses to/from the tech.

Luckily I've not had any major events with damaging my Smiths apart from a recharger for my phone dropping on my Smith 6 from a shelf, which left a small v shaped ding in the back of the upper horn. Rest of the dings have been from belt buckles and gig bag zips.