View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb and...

Nearing the Finish line, Biase called me yesterday for some depth measurements of the Neck at the 1st Position and at the 'D' by the Heel. I walked over to the Martini with 2 small rulers. I used one as a straight edge against the Back of the Neck and measured with the other. I also checked it with Dial Calipers deducting the String and Nut height as best I could. I came up with 24-25mm deep tapering to 28-30mm. I checked another Bass that had Grafted Neck by Arnold and it was just under those numbers. When the Martini first came over I had Biase put a new Fingerboard on it. The Neck overall turned out too thick as the original Neck had never been trimmed down so I did it myself. Later on while fitting the C-Extension Arnold just cleaned up the Heel and Pegbox underside with some matching Varnish as I only had some stain on it I mixed up. When it was determined that the Martini actually needed a Graft to replace the overly soft Italian Oppio Neck, I asked Arnold to copy the Martini Neck as exact as possible because I was used to it and it was my favorite playing Bass. He did as I had asked.

After giving the Neck depth numbers to Biase I called Arnold to ask what his numbers are normally. I had only the Pollmann in the shop to compare it to. That Bass was done earlier in the year but I wasn't sure about his standard shop measurements. Turns out that his numbers are about 2-4 mm less from top to bottom. Still, I gave the numbers that were on the Martini. Then, I went and measured the Martini again and they were as given the day before to Biase.

A few weeks earlier I gave Biase width measurements of both the Nut and Heel of the Neck using the Martini as well. Hopefully the 'Mystery Monster' will be as 'playable friendly' as the Martini when it's all done.

Right now, I am hoping for a Christmas present.. A BIG one.. lol