View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jack Notestein is on a distinguished road
Default String tension - Double Bass vs. Electric Bass

Good morning,

I've just joined the Bass Forums and after reading several posts and threads on various subjects, realize the depth and range of knowledge and experiences that are expressed here. It's a real privilege to take part.

I'm most experienced with the electric bass, so after seeing pictures of the extended low string(s) on double basses, I'd like to verify the practical reason for this. I suspect it's to increase the string tension. If so, is this only applicable to the acoustic bass or can it also be applied to an electric bass? The few string makers that publish comparable tensions for a given gauge set, always show the E (or B) strings to have less tension.

After comparing the sound and feel of a short scale Gibson EB2D with the longer scale of a Fender Precision, I realized string length (besides string gauge, type of metal and wrapping method) must have something to do with tension and feel or as well as a tighter sound - attack > decay.

Since the Fender basses are rugged and relatively adaptable to modifications, I'm experimenting with simple ways of extending the E (and to a lesser degree, the A) string by various increments to see what the "feel" and "sound" difference will be. There is enough extra length of bare metal on my long scale E string to allow as much as 2" or more of extension. I could even go with an extra long scale (36") string for test purposes. I don't want to exceed the tension of the other strings...just come closer to it without straining the neck.

I haven't yet seen any tailpiece designs that do this but the idea seems to have some credibility after noticing the extensions on double basses. I'm also testing various string angles from the bridge to the tailpiece, to see what effects this may have.

I agree with some comments that Ken Smith has previously expressed in ultimately trusting ones "intuitive feel" for sound and touch over engineering specs and calculations. I am however, using tension and deflection gauges to measure my progress and compare differences with how it feels and plays.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences on this subject.

Respectfully,

Jack N.
Sarasota, Florida