View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, Ken.

I also thought that Starks would be harder to bow on, that's why I posted to see if anyone really uses them for arco. I also considered the Bel Cantos which I knew they would be easier to bow but I chose the Starks because I wanted to work on my arco technique and thought the Bels would be too forgiving and wouldn't bring out the flaws in my playing like Spiros would.

As for my tuning, when first playing the Dominants I bought a used set to try out and being aware of the stories of Dominants having issues with breakage I tuned the strings very slowly. I thought that the low D had a great tone and feel. This was also the same time I was considering to try a fifths tuning so I was open to the idea of different tunings.Tuning the bass in fourths (DGCF) gave the Pfretzner a completely different character and the 2 extra low notes as well the fingered E seem to fit very well with my style of playing. Although I now had to relearn some of the hand positions in relationship to the lower notes it felt very natural and comfortable. And since I am not a soloist, I don't miss the loss of the higher notes in thumb position. This tuning is also why I wanted to try the Starks. I wanted to be able to tune down a whole step and still have enough string tension to play unamplified.

I am not sure that this carved bass will turn out as well as the Pfretzner but I would like to keep the tuning but have a different sound. I don't see as much of a problem playing pizz but I often wonder why it is so rare to hear arco played on heavy gauge strings?