View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddue Johnson View Post
Thanks for the input, Ken.I am not sure that this carved bass will turn out as well as the Pfretzner but I would like to keep the tuning but have a different sound. I don't see as much of a problem playing pizz but I often wonder why it is so rare to hear arco played on heavy gauge strings?
Why? Yes, why, why bother? Who needs Stark if you don't actually need them? They put more pressure on the Top of the Bass and can choke the sound and they are also harder to play on. I have used Stark Flexocor's on some basses IF the Bass needs that string. In that case, I do the extra work to play them. If not, you are also hurting the Bass as well instead of just yourself..

Try playing in an Orchestra with that tuning. When you have to jump up you will be jumping more than the others. When you have modern music with harmonics to play, you will be out of a job unless you play uniform and in unison with the section.

I think 4ths with a C-Extension is the most common world wide now. 5-string basses I believe are outnumbered by C-Extensions. As for tuning in 5ths, that was tried 150 years ago and the conductors preferred the intonation of the players in 4ths, so I've read.

The 5er has its place with some music and some advantages on occasion. The 4 with Ext. is less strings to have in your way when not using them. Only a few notes become the struggle unless, you play 5s on a regular basis. In 5ths, seems like an excuse not to play a 5er or Ext. and you always have to travel or stretch further for everything you play.

In USA the majority is 4 string in 4ths and with C-Ext. for Orchestra for the lows. Go with the flow.. Also, it's easier to play the Ext. notes sitting than standing in some pieces. Most do!