View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road

Just finished putting on the Spiro Starks. I just did my usual setup for a jazz bass, after prepping the nut and bridge for the larger strings. Things came together better than i expected. Right away I was happy with the sound and feel, very easy to play everywhere on the fingerboard and plenty of volume. Playing outside on my deck I could hear every note clearly and the sound seemed to carry well but I can never tell how loud my bass is while I am playing. I have always like the sound of Spiros on a jazz bass but don't want to have too much of the buzzing, (mwah) sound that I hear too often. Now I have that Spiro jazz vibe with just the right amount of mwah. If I just wanted a jazz bass, this might be it.

But how well will it work for arco? I was tempted to try it but keep my bow at a distance. I spent a couple of hours just playing jazz pizzicato. Scales, appregios, walking bass lines, Can't believe how well this bass plays, just hope it stays this way. I just wanted to take some time to enjoy things as they are for now.

Tomorrow I will try the bow.

P.S. Ken Smith

I appreciate your input today and the benefit of your knowledge and experience. So far the Starks seem very easy for me to play. Maybe because I played the Dominants so long or the jazz setup with lower string height but I find these strings as comfortable as the Dominants. I have adjusters in the bridge so I will let you know If I feel the same way when I set it up for arco playing. Maybe then I will feel differently about things but right now things seem to be working out.

But it's just the beginning...

Eddue