View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Eddue Johnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Spiro starks are interesting strings, IMO. Like the other spiros I don't think that in and of themselves they're *hard* to bow, but they don't bow like other strings do. Of course a lot depends on the bass; if the setup is bad they're going to be murder to play so there'd be no point, and I think the combination of tension and stiffness probably just chokes the life out of many instruments (or threatens to break them in half). Pretty hard to go wrong with the stark E though - it's a beast and seems to work well with many other strings. For a while I used a stark E with the medium A, and superflexible D/G and that made for a nice all-around combo.

So I guess it'd be the odd bass, in general, that I'd put starks on for regular use - but if I found a bass that responded well to them and had a good enough setup that I could live with them, I think that bass would likely work well in just about any musical situation out there... My $.02...
I always thought the qualities of Spiros that made them a great jazz string had an effect on how they respond to a bow. I have had more success bowing other strings than Spirocores, but I know there is always the possibility for a good arco sound with the right bass and bassist. My arco skills are limited but there seems to be a different touch needed for Spiros. And since this is my first attempt to bow heavy gauge strings I know I could have made an easier choice but wanted to pizz sound and feel of the heavy Spiros.

I did try arco on the Starks and even though my bridge was still lowered the sound was good enough to see the potential of the string if I improve my bow technique. I had the option to put on Bel Cantos and always got a nice tone with them but they seemed to make me sound better than I really am, like it was more of the string than me that I heard. The Starks are less forgiving of my flaws, which is a good thing. I can tell when I am not doing something right, in a big way. Overall, I like most of what I am hearing, pizz and arco with the bridge set low. I will try raising it up soon but want to gradually get used to things.

Thomas-

How do you see the Spiros being different than other string under the bow?