View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Pros and Cons/Big Difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
I've been discussing Eden amps & cabinets with Tim, and strolling through various music shops to compare the gear. I've noticed that, since I acquired my Eden Traveler Plus amp, almost every amp worth its salt has the option of a 1/4" out, or a "Speakon" out installed (cabs as well).

I've yet to use a Speakon cable. Are there pros and cons with it? Does one lose anything in terms of signal at all?
Pros: It's a high output cable and provides a secure connection.

Cons: The cables are costly and proprietary.

Short story.........

One time, right in the middle of a gig while I was playing, I noticed a drastic drop in output level . It wasn't until the evening was over that I learned the Bananna Plug had vibrated out of the amp, thus, eliminating one of my cabs. I played half that evening with only half the output level I needed! I was not a happy camper........ So, I do like the security Neutrik provides with their twist-lock Speakon connection.

"Do you loose anything in terms of signal / Is there a big difference"? - I'm not hearing it and I don't think so; provided the alternative is a high quality 1/4 or Bananna Plug type of cable.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 09-14-2007 at 02:00 PM.