View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb good..(rant coming)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Well just going on the numbers, I reckon the basses will feel larger in this order

Candi 3/4
Batchelder 3/4
Bohemian 3/4
Gilkes 3/4 - 7/8
Loveri 7/8
Hart 7/8
Storioni 7/8
Mystery 4/4

But actually I don't really give a fig about what the size is called in fractional terms. Its a pretty meaningless number I reckon, I put them there just for the sake of playing the game, but I'd be interested if my grading of the "feel" of the bass from smaller to larger is anywhere near correct.
I agree with your sizes but with this addition. The Gilkes is a short string length but doesn't feel small when you play it. The Shoulders get you up on your toes to play the harmonics past the fingerboard.

I would call all of the Basses listed from the Gilkes on down the list 'Full sized Orchestral Basses' as in 'full sized cars'. Not a stretch limo or a bus. Like a Caddy, Chevy Caprice, Ford LTD etc.. A 4-passenger car where adults can sit comfortably in the back seat as well as the front. The last Bass, the 'Mystery Bass' is larger all around and may by European standards classify as a 5/4 Bass being larger than the average Bass played in an Orchestra. The first three are about what they are in comparison, smaller than a regular sized Orchestra Basses and therefor can be classed as a 3/4 Bass and the others a 4/4 by modern standards. Again, The Gilkes is on the fence being a Cello shaped Bass but not as long. The Loveri is a long Bass. I have a picture here of me playing it from a local newspaper article on my shop. With the normal endpin height, The Scroll towers over my head and I am 6ft tall. The cut shoulders of the Loveri make it look smaller but with a normal set-up, the string length is close to 43" with the Bridge centered and tilted slightly towards the Tailpiece. I worked hard to make that Bass play as a D-neck and under 42". The 7/8 Basses are as big as todays 4/4 factory Bass but with playable string lengths. Put all the measurements in a blender and see what you get size-wise!

My definition is a regular sized professional Orchestra Bass that is usually called a large 3/4 or 7/8 is a 'full sized Bass'. A full sized 4/4 violin is 14" long at the back. If we play these bigger 3/4-7/8ths Bass as the regular adult sized Bass, then it should be classed as a 'full sized' as it is not fractioned down for a smaller person as would be a Violin for children. In the history of the Bass, there have been Giant Basses to play the sub lows that were never made for normal use. Those are not full sized 4/4 Basses. They are giants like 6/4 or 8/4 sized. I am going with the masses here on this. If it's the normal large Orchestral Bass, then it's 'full sized'. If it's slightly smaller like a regular Juzek/Wilfer then it's a 3/4. The older German Shop Basses made in the larger sizes had string lengths of over 43". To those makers, that was a modern 4/4 Bass of its time. With the Shoulders, bouts, string lengths, body lengths, rib depths and FF-hole placements being different on ever Bass, then we can only generalize its size. The making of the Basses are general as well so why are we beating ourselves over the head about this?

Last night I played my Candi Bass. It felt small. It was a small 3/4 Bass. Last week I played the Storioni with a 44" string length. That was a full sized Bass but with a manageable body. Just ask my fingers as they are still stretched out! This Sunday I will use my Bohemian Bass which is a 3/4. Next week I will use the Hart for a concert. That is a full sized Bass. Nothing cut-down or small about that baby, nothing!

It is difficult naming sizes when you mix old with old/altered and with new modern 'sized' Basses. The last time I rented a full sized Car, My seat was so far back that only a child or legless person could sit behind me in the Back. I had to rent the Luxury size to get what used to measure out as a full sized car. Isn't a foot still 12inches and a pound 16 ounces? 1+1=2? 100~4=25? Why do Basses have to get smaller along with the cars?