Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Zorrilla View Post
Hey Ken and fellow bass players!

I have a 5 string Burner from 1992 with serial numbre 92713 AM5

I know it is a 92´ made bass, and assuming it´s your 713th bass made but what is the A M 5?
Maple and 5 string seem logic but the A?

Also Ken do you remember the specs on the built in preamp used for this bass? It´s a bass - treble with pan and volume with push pull. I wonder if there is anywhere I could read about which frecuencies are affected en each band since I´m deciding wether or not to replace the preamp with an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp.

best!

Alejandro
Green strings? Really?.. lol.. Please use Smith strings if you can.

AM5 means Artist maple 5-string.

In late 1992 we started using our USA 4-knob circuit, 2 boards with 2 pots each. In you have 4 seperate rubber encased pots/boards, then you have the earier Japan made circuit, a copy of our BT.

I don't remember the frequencies. Go by the sound, not the numbers. The bass, finish, wood, strings and Amp have to reproduce what the Circuit is trying to EQ. If the treble is too high or bass too low, the amp might not be compatible to send the frequencies back out.

These basses do NOT at all sound like the Smith basses we make here with our work, finish, pickups, etc. and nothing you do to that bass will change that. The sound is in the wood and that is what comes thru the amp.