View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Junior Posting Member

Carlos Henriquez is on a distinguished road

Well, not really if we start comparing! However, I do stress the physical side of playing metal strings that happens with students wanting that pure sound. Golden Spiral strings were cool but very hard to bow on, plus the cross over with the bow on the A & E string really hurts. I really would like to stress a point ! Their is no way you can compare the sound of metal and guts!! I'm sorry!! You can't find many players playing gut because it is to hard for them first to get a great sound with the bow plus they don't understand about sound anymore because technology has covered that part with the amp..The sound factor with strings is Organic and very pure in all aspects!!! Example-I never heard of a African Drum head skin being changed to a synthetic skin, the head masters won't allow it. Example- Many can go out and get a Honda or Toyota etc.. and drive it with no problems however, you don't find many driving a Ferrari, Benz or Porche etc.... What I'm trying to say is that the pure sound of the bass is achieved in its original state.. Yes, they are some great bass players that use metal strings and they sound great.. What I'm trying to explain is much deeper to understand... If you want that sound, you have to go that route, sorry!!

Peace!!