View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Adam Booker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Henriquez View Post
Its so nice to know that you agree with me Arnold!! However, the state of progress is not always a form of achievement!! Yes, the car has been a form of progress for us in terms of living and life but when Art is involved their is no replacement for progress. The progress in Art is from the Artist not the instrument or its set-ups!! remember that!!

I agree with this sentiment, but some artists find artistic progress only when the tools of the trade catch up to what's happening in their head. Case in point, electronic or electro-acoustic music. Whether or not it's your particular cup of musical tea, it's still an art form in it's own right and most electronic music composers I know jump at the latest developments as they become available because the technology has caught up to their ideas. In some cases, I'm sure the bass has done quite the same thing. I'm sure you would be hard pressed to find a symphony cat using plain gut on a regular basis, because the whole sound of the symphony is louder (due in no small part to technology). Indeed, the advancement of technology in regards to the drum set, which did not exist as an instrument 100 years ago prompted the need for more volume on stage, hence amplifiers, metal strings, et al.

However, as Wynton so eloquently put, "The progression of jazz is like taking a bucket of water from a well. Ocassionally you have to return to the well for more water." I do not view the use of gut strings as grossly anachronistic any more than a performance of Beethoven should be considered backward thinking. Good music is good music, and the bulk of its history on the double bass was played on guts. In fact, I have some on the way (in no small part inspired by this thread)!

Thanks for the inspiration Carlos. I may need some help with these things too, if would be so kind?