Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok, ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelloSanti View Post
No worries about the strings I've gone and ordered a set of Flexocor '92 which should come in a day or two.
My question is how long does it take to 'brake in' a new set of strings? The problem is that my daugther has an audition next Friday (04/02/09) and wandering if I'd be better off leaving putting the new strings on until after that.

Nello
I have put flex 92s on the day before a Concert with no problem at all. These strings sound good from the get go. One word of advise is to wipe them gently up and doesn't each string with a soft rag after tuning them up. That will get the metal grease off the strings that you do NOT want in your Bow hairs. You will see the grease on your finger tips after installing the strings. Just wash your hands before you rub your eyes. After all of the string trials I have done between the new types coming out and the old ones, the 92s are still my favorite string. Depending on ones bass and playing, the Orig. Flex (nothing orig. to me on them) or the Orig. Flat Chromes (the old Eudoxa flatchrome steel) might suit you better. The Belcantos are nice too and even smoother with the Bow but the Pizz is not as sweet as on the Flex 92 and neither is the tone.. 92s all the way in my book..