View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Bedard is on a distinguished road
Default Light tension strings

Hello, and thanks for the opportunity to ask for a bit of advice.
I build ukuleles, and have acquired a plywood bass that I'm repairing as a nephew's Christmas present. He's 16 and plays bass guitar in a high school jazz combo.
The instrument I've got only had a few minor plywood delaminations out at the corners, and two spots where the plywood seam at the ribs opened up. I've reglued these areas with thinned Titebond and HHG respectively. Also, the saddle glue joint had let go and allowed the saddle to rock up toward the bridge. That problem has also been addressed.
Here's my question. (finally)
There's a slight separation between the neck heel and the button. There's less than enough room to slide an x-acto blade into the joint. The strings were at full tension when I bought the instrument, and the joint doesn't seem to change with tension changes. I don't think the neck is loose enough to warrant immediate attention. Am I mistaken? Seems like the glue joints at the long sides of the neck mortise are still good.
I'm hoping to select some strings that are appropriate for a brand new player with bass guitar experience. The other selection criteria is that they have the lightest tension possible. I'd like to see whether he'll stick with the instrument before I tackle a re-glue of the neck.
Thanks, Ron