View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Ok then. But, even bass shops mistake German for French at the slightest hint of a nicer bass or the thought of jacking the price!

Here are a few tips and things I have learned. I have not seen a single French made double bass from the late 18th century to the early 20th century with;

Outer Linings
Humped Shoulders into the neck heel
hat peg gears on plates or singles
metal gears on plates
angled flat back (*2 exceptions)
Purfling design under the back button
Violone/Viennese Scroll/Pegbox
Cornerless design (on basses)

The features listed above are mainly from the German/Bohemian/Austrian and other similar areas.

*The 2 exceptions are basses supposedly by Vuillaume who by the way contracted many things out. So I suspect they were supplied, possibly by his friend John Lott Jr. in London but, anything is possible. Just that the German traits are not part of the French mind-set. The English combined a few things themselves and some French and Germans did work in England as well. Pure born English makers look all English or Italian as they often tired to but some early basses from the 18th century as well as violins were more on the German patters like Stainer in violins or Mittenwald and Saxony/Berlin in basses. Immigrants to England, mainly London had some mixed flavors in their work, sometimes. Panormo brought Maggini modelling into the basses and Strad into the violins. Some English bass makers were more Germanic in style than Italian and some totally Italian or Italian/English. Confused yet?

I have seen so many basses sold by bass shops as French that were clearly NOT if they had one ounce of knowledge combined with 2 ounces of honestly. Or, they have no clue.

So, not being a bass shop by trade far excuses your error on the French connections you may have thought you suspected.