View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Fretless, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Kulaga View Post
Thanks so much, Tim. I've never tried another string on this bass - the medium taper cores were recommended to me, and I'm happy to know that I should stick with them.

Thanks for your thoughts concerning the fretboard-wear also (mine is ebony) -- I've read differing opinions, so I'm glad to hear a veteran KS-player's view.

I was surprised at what I heard slapping/popping on the fretless too - it was a distinctive sound, much different than on my fretted 6. I think it was just easier to do on a 4 string also, so maybe my sound improved from that aspect. My band-mates all noticed and said, "yeah! do that!" but I was really hesitant to continue.

Any other opinions?
Your welcome!

Yeah, slapping/popping would sound very different and distinctive vs. the same on a fretted. But hey, if that's the sound that you are hearing and wanting, go for it. It's all about you sounding like you.

The Smith Slick Wounds are very smooth. Not as flat sounding as Flat Wounds and not nearly as bright as Round Wounds. I used Smith Slick Wounds in a musical I played in March. I needed that 60's sound. The Smith Slick Wounds were perfect. I've also used Smith Slick Wounds on a Fretless. Sounds very nice and feels very smooth and certainly hold there own in my arsenal , however, I prefer the Smith Medium Taper Cores overall .

For something different, maybe you should give the Smith Slick Wounds or Compressors (I'd stick with the same gauge strings if I were you to avoid a re-setup situation). It may add another dynamic to your playing and give you exactly what you need for a given tune . You won't know unless you try right?

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-24-2009 at 07:12 PM.