View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

Daniel Yeabsley is on a distinguished road
Default Brrrr! it's cold in there!

The strings and book arrived on the 31st of December, and I immediately put them on.
First impressions: My bass (Cleveland ply) has really opened up with the new tuning. There's more bottom end, but also more clarity round every note. The A string is clear but not too zingy for a new spiro. The low C is fun, especially arco. The Denis Masuzzo book is great too. No BS, just a bunch of scales getting progressively more complex with fingerings, ending with some orchestral excerpts.

2nd impressions: Hmmm... well my bass is louder and has more clarity (and range) than before, but I don't like it. Too much clarity can equal coldness in my book, and I can't see my playing ever using the extra notes that the new tuning makes available. Playing 3rds is harder, and I really think that those thirds are my bread and butter notes. I'm not an orchestral guy or a Red Mitchell type melodic/ contrapuntal player, so the easy access to 6ths / 10ths etc is not a big deal.

Final result: I've put EADG strings back on (top 2 gut spiro bottom) and am a happier and wiser chappie. It's hard for me to compare the two tunings because they seem to suit different needs, but I learnt a lot from the experience.