View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 06:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir Polivka View Post
Eventually I got the stark G and a few other G strings of the Flexocor family. The stark G is a beautiful string, it is impossible to get an unpleasant tone out of it. No scratches whatsoever, you can forget about bow technique and just play. It is usable with Original Flat-chrome set, but not a perfect blend with OFC D string (I decided to keep OFC D, as D is what I like of the OFC set most).

I found Original Flexocor G to be closest to Original Flat-chrome G, unfortunatelly it is so close that it suffers from the same problem. Open G is metallic and thin sounding. It sounds nice in higher register however. The rubber ring helps a little with open string harshness but makes it a little harder to start the string. So I ruled Original Flexocor G out.

The second closest string is Flexocor Deluxe G, which blends with OFC D quite well and sounds nice on its own. I tested the whole Deluxe set and liked it. It is a little thicker that ordinary Flexocor, hence no problems with that thin E. It is a little darker than OFC.

As it is with most string problems, the bass plays a huge role and its adjustments.