View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I remember Paul Ellison saying on a master class that Bel Canto was the best thing ever to happen to the E-string... I am under the impression that a fairly large number of players share his view there. That said, I think Ken is right that Flatchrome might be the best match. But, I play Eudoxa down there and Flatchrome on the top strings, and I have to say you adapt quickly to different types of strings. And yes, the Perm could be a wise choice as well. If you want the E to ring a bit more, I think you won't be too unhappy. I had a similar problem with Flexocor (only this was the solo 92's) and once I switched to a Permanent solo set, the bass totally came alive; the volume produced was truly tinnitus-inducing and the tubbiness down low had gotten way better. There are mixed feelings on the Perms in the double bass community, though...
But, I meant the 'Original' FlatChrome as it's now called, not the regular FlatChrome. The Origs. have the blue/white threads at the tail. The FCs have the red/white and are thinner gauged. The Orig. FCs by the way used to be called 'Eudoxa' FlatChromes aka then Eudoxa 'Steels' rather than the gut cored Eudoxa which is still made today.

My Gilkes is currently strung with the Orig.Flex G,D,A and an actual surviving Eudoxa FC Steel which I got from a TB member a few years ago. This is a C-Ext. string as well. It is probably not the exact same formula as the current Orig.FC but somewhat close I assume. This works fairly well and is the reason I suggested it.

For the reg.Flex 92 set I usually use a Stark E with or without an Ext. Pirastro no longer makes the E/C stark BUT, I have a bunch that I bought when I heard about them discontinuing the product. I have them listed for sale as well and this too could work with the Orig.G,D,A as well. At least as good as the Orig.FC or the Perm. depending on the tone you are shooting for and what works on your Bass.

How can you tell in advance what sting will work for whom and on which Bass? You can't and this is where trial and error becomes expensive. I had an English Hawkes pass thru my shop briefly for comparison which I helped a local friend obtain and that bass was strung with the Orig.Flexs all across with the E/C. These came on the Bass but were the same as he had had on his German Bass before switching to Stark Flexs across all the strings on my suggestion. He got a full new set of the Starks from me and put them on in the shop and the bass did seem darker and fuller sounding than it did with the Origs. On the other hand, I had used both Starks, reg.92s and reg. with Stark E/C on my Gilkes before putting this used set of Orig's on my Bass and I happen to like them, on that Bass I mean.

You never really know till you try it. I wonder if they have the same dilemmas with Violins thur Cellos? Probably not..

Oh, and on the Belcantos, I put a set on my Hart the other day and took off the Flex 92s and with the Extension Bel, I am quite impressed.