View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike Weems is on a distinguished road
Default Great advice

Once again thanks for this info. I will restore this as a church bass and not try to make it into a cello. As mentioned a few posts ago it has a repair label in it from 1922 J Renwick Metheny. Also found a large hand written note on the back listing all the repairs he did to it all of which will have to be undone. Pretty horrific stuff. He was into old instrument stuff so I suspect that is where the 1670 hand written date came from. I don't like to criticize someone who is not here and over such a long time but man what a mess. I have posted some pics of the inside so you will see what I will have to deal with. As for my level I have been repairing and making violins and guitars for 29years god I can' believe how fast time goes. since the back has been cut of ie out of the grove in the back what I would like to do is to fully line the instrument add corner blocks and heel graft the neck so it can be converted to a typical neck joint with new neck block. As I have moved into restoration work I only restore Instruments that belong to me all the while be cognizant of prosperity. With forum like this Upton bass and others the restoration work I have done has come out quite well.

Thanking you again
Mike Weems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_009.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	655.5 KB
ID:	2932  Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_013.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	2933