View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Collecting..

I currently own 12 Double Basses (out of about 17 purchase for personal use) that I bought wanting 'something' that the Bass had to offer me at the time or wanting it as 'the' Bass for me at the time of purchase.

Each Bass at the time of purchase was something I either wanted, needed (in my mind) or found an attraction or charm that spoke to me. I know that being in the business I can sell off what I don't want. A couple of them came in on trade and some I bought to sell asap but still did some gigs with them. Two of the newer ones I bought originally for myself in the beginning of my re-entry into playing I had passed on to my two boys. One of them no longer plays Bass at the moment so I have that one back for gigs where an older Bass might get damaged like an outdoor concert or something similar. Still, I have played many a Jazz gig outdoors with my best Basses at the time but could not be relaxed leaving it on stage for even a 2 minute bathroom break.

I also have some DBs I bought just for entry level buyers as my DB business grew so I know what its' like to have a collection.

With the Electric Basses and even before I had my own Bass company, I usually played only one Bass exclusively with the exception of an occasional back-up Bass like one I would leave back stage between shows on a gig or have for students to play on at lessons.

At one time after I started my company I still had an old Bass when that sound was needed and used either my proto-type or the next Bass completed if it was un-sold at the time. I even played 5-string on a few Gigs in the mid '80s before retiring. That was not easy after playing 4-string all my live to suddenly be playing with an R&B singer and reaching for the low 'E' and finding the 'B'!. When I needed the 'B' I knew where it was but the E not being the bottom string was a trip for me. Also, the 'G' was further away and even the 'A' and 'D' were out of place. Not something that was easy for me. Testing them on a bench was way way different than playing them on a gig. The 6-string is something that I never played off the bench and the 7, please no.. Just the test.. ok?

I have seen a lot of Smith Basses float thru Ebay and this means as I was told by a friend of mine that Smith Basses are now collectors items and have reached 'vintage' status in their own time. But, How did this happen with Basses only 10-20 years old? Well, maybe because we don't make a lot of any one model or wood combination and we have made some slight changes over the years. Also, maybe because we build them good to start with and after 10-20 years the low maintenance they have needed has added to their value. Gee, I wish I could buy a car that and after 10 or 20 years only need a few parts fixed or some finish work done rather than the junk yard..

So to Tim and all the other collectors and customers, thanks for the support.