View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool proud of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Diza View Post
Many of your innovations are well documented through the history of Ken Smith Basses, but of all the ones you implemented, which ones are you most proud of?
Sorry I'm late. I missed this question.

I would say that each new model once all ironed out, I was proud of it coming to be. I have never been stuck on a single model because they all worked and they still work. Just different ideas and versions of similar ideas. Adding strings is not necessarily a new model in my eyes. Just a modification or addition to its 'parent' model if we can use that description.

Moving forward I think the BSR was my favorite model as it had a bit of everything in it. It has half of the BT in it and some of the BMT as well. I usually sit when I play and almost always did. My playing tastes as far as body styles might not be the same as yours. When the BMT came, I put a few ideas that had been in the drawer into one bass. Then, perfecting it was the BSR which looks good with the point or the curve like the Fusion model we make.

As far as other 'little' things on the bass, from a players viewpoint of having worked with bass in hand 5-7 days a week on average I do listen to players requests but must be realistic and compare them to my own thoughts as far as practicality goes. Making a bass with custom features is an expensive task but changing a model by adding something may not be a smart move in the long run for all players.

Keeping the basses affordable within reason is a big concern of mine.