Thread: My Willow
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Just to continue . . .

I am still enjoying my time with this bass, even if I know its limitations. It's a solid instrument. I'm not ashamed to play it in any situation.

It seems to respond very well to synthetic core strings, higher tension steel strings really choked the sound. Flexicores are too dark for it. Evah Pirazzis seem to be treating it really well for the moment. My recently upgraded bow is making the sound jump out a little more easily, which is nice . . .

A couple of months ago, i ended up taking the bass in to Arnold's shop because I wanted to try playing with very low string height (teacher's reccomendation). While it was there, Arnold did the following:
-Cut the tailpiece down a few inches and replaced the tailwire
- adjusted the bridge position and the afterlength tuning (this fixed the "short mensure" we were discussing last year)
- cut down the bridge to a ridiculously low playing height (4mm at the g string, 8 at the E, I think)
- adjusted the arch of the bridge to better fit the fingerboard radius.

The result: a new instrument. Produces more sound, is easier to play. More even up and down all strings. Less wolfiness (**almost** no wolfs).

It took me a couple of days to notice the new string length - there were some serious struggles with intonation after the work was done. It's ***much*** easier to play, though.

Arnold's the man. Get to him if you can.