View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I just love looking at the instruments you have gathered and fostered.
Thank you for taking such good care of these lovely basses...

Interesting to hear you talk about the "plushiness" of older instruments. I visited my long-time teacher last week and got a chance to play one of his basses, what appears to be a German instrument (to my untrained eye; external linings, round back, violin corners, light gold/brown varnish), that clearly has some years behind it. He was playing a newer Hungarian instrument which he also owns. The German bass does have that combination of clarity and "plushiness," as you put it, that really is irresistible.

I am lucky to have a bass that is certainly better than I currently deserve, but I must say I can't get that "plushy" feel and sound out of my head...
Eric, we deserve what we treat ourselves to and nothing less. About 40 years ago I bought my first old Italian bass. Played it for the next 15 years on all my jobs and then retired from playing. About 5 years later I put it up for sale to make someone else happy and use the money for a house for my new family with the 2nd child on the way. No regrets here on what I bought, sold and played on.

I still have more basses in restoration that I will play one or more times on a rehearsal or job and even more basses coming in that I have purchased that are not here yet. Once you turn it into a business while you are still playing, anything goes!

I must say that most of the pro orchestra players that have played my Hart, both male and female, get more sound out of that bass by far than what I hear when I play it. That being said, the best bass for YOU is what YOU can play best, and not what someone else sounds good on.

I was at a rehearsal with my Neuner shortly after getting it set-up and from the last stand in the back row the Principal looks at me and says "boy that thing is loud!" I replied, "this is not one of my loud basses!".. So I thought. Whenever I played that old German bass, I got compliments, and as many as when I played an old English or Italian bass in the same groups and sections. One Luthier friend of mine told me to keep that Neuner and when I sold it he said on the phone, "I told you never to sell that bass. Why did you sell it?"

Well, I feel the old Lion I have is as nice if not more and I love the old creature looking down at me as I play it. I have had many great basses come thru my hands but there was always something about it that didn't click 100% with me either in feel or in getting 'my' sound. Playing several styles of music in my path these days as well as in the past, a stone cold Orchestra bass might not fit the other types of gigs I do.

This is just the current chapter in the quest for the best. I have totally changed my set-up as well from my past NY days so I can't predict what I will need or like tomorrow. If and when something changes, I will be glad to share it.