View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

I played last week at the ISB with a Bass Quartet within Chris Brown's recital including piano and a vocalist. As I was getting off stage from the sound check with my bass (the Hart), I noticed the Karr/Koussevutzky bass on the stage and then Stefano Sciascia walking up. He said that the Hart sounded beautiful and liked my Pizz technique as I was playing the continuo part straight thru including the last two notes solo. I saw him a few hours later after the recital, Stefano was coming on stage right behind us as well and complimented the sound again. Another Orchestra player I know at the concert came up to me later and said the Hart cut thru the other basses and sounded beautiful. The Hart was the smallest bass on stage of the 4 of them but had the best sound.

So, I think this is the bass I have to keep but have a back-up or two for those venues where the Hart might be at risk like outdoor venues, Pit jobs or clubs.

Now that I have played it in a good hall with other bigger basses, and all good ones, I have to re-think my keeper-bass based on how others hear me and not just what I think from being on the inside looking out.