View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I'll get a photo of it up and how I mount it soon. There's a not so good photo of it here (look in the appications / bass link), but it shows it pointing off toward the f hole and that is not how I am positioning it. The mount allows a good deal of flexibility and swivel and I have it almost dead center just under the bridge with the mount crossing the afterlengths of the A and D strings.

I haven't had time to mess with it yet but there is a separate little wire doo-hickey that has a cork screw at one end and it came with the microphone and was not an accessory extra. Looking at that thing, I think it might be possible to get it up under the Fingerboard extended down toward the bridge. I'm thinking screw the cork screw end into a carefully shaped wine cork, glue (hide glue) the wine cork to the underside of the FB and then I have a mount in that position. The position just under the center of the bridge is working pretty well, but I've seen the position between bridge and fingerboard used by many professionals and I'd like to try that.

It is possible to leave the whole shooting match clamped onto the afterlengths, coil the cord and drop it into the quiver, and pack. The only problem there is that too soft foam that gets compressed and then slides down the strings. I think if I remove the mount after every use, the foam is not such a problem, but it definitely compresses too quickly for leaving it in place. I might replace the foam with cork this afternoon.