View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 9V's

We are still repairing the old 9V's with the original Pot's we had made for them. Some day, we will run out and only be able to sell the new model. I will not know until that day comes if we can still get these made.

The numbers on the back of OEM pots are usually batch numbers referring to when they were made and not a brand or model number. Since these are not made to sell in the retail world, there is no reason to put any kind of generic ID numbers on them.

I have never seen a successful repair with someone using anything other than the exact same pot that we use. I have seen a few basses repaired badly and the hole had to be plugged and re-drilled from using the wrong pot size.

The exact taper, detent and pot value along with shaft length, bushing length and diameter and threads is unique.

Let us know how you do in your search. I am sure the time you spend will cost you more than the cost of shipping on over there with a fresh set of the standard Smith strings to save on overall shipping costs. Door to door in my opinion is cheaper then spending your days and weeks running around.