View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb smaller head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hewett View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned before but I would like to see an option for a shorter headstock on 7 string Smith basses. I played a six string Smith for many years and now with the 7 string I have to be much more careful not to knock people in the head when playing music in tight quarters. I'm getting more used to it but it would still be nice to have a headstock which is closer to the same length as a six string if it is possible.
I've imagined that perhaps 3 tuners on the top in normal spacing with 4 on the bottom using a very tight spacing, probably almost touching tight, could possibly work and come out to about the same distance as the 3 top normally spaced tuners. Perhaps the F string tuner would need to be slightly closer to the nut than the B sting to achieve the equal distance at the A and D string tuners. I'm not sure about the details but if this could be done it could lesson the length by around 2.5 inches which may not seem like a lot but again when playing in tight corners going from about 8.5 inches to 6 inches of headstock length would be nice.
I've even imagined a couple of ways of modifying my own bass to achieve this but then I regained my sanity and thought better than to even think about going down that road.
Two problems will be inherent if done. One, it will be hard to tune and turn the tuners if you can't get a finger between them and two, moving them closer to the edges of the wood will weaken the wood and be prone to splitting, cracking or breaking. Basses get bumped all the time. You need some cushion of strength there. The wood between the tuner hole and the outside edge of the wood is that cushion.