View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool the core..

I hope others tune in with their ideas and opinions a swell on the core but I just wanted to give my 2c after just reading this.

I think that looks and sound (each for different reasons) Walnut is usually the best core with an Ebony top. In my opinion, the sound between laminated bodies on tehse basses (because of the thickness we use) mainly comes from the Top, not the core. The core might 'flavor' the top in one way or another helping the inherent tone of the Top or conflicting with it but it will not dominate it.

On the looks factor, the Top, back and Core is all from dark woods and the Maple laminates offset the layers the best. With a Maple core with the Ebony-Walnut T/B set, we would use mahogany for the laminates. Less of as contrast.

On the Tone, Maple absorbs more and Walnut reflects more, Core, top, Back or whatever. With the Ebony Top, you don't want to soften an already deep short toned response wood. The Walnut lets the mids of the Ebony ring out more rather than suppress them.

Now, here are a few things to think about in case you are questioning my ears or experience in sound of these woods. The most simple test I have done to show someone in the past is with a piece of maple and walnut about the same dimensions. Then, drop them on a cement floor, one at a time. The sound of the woods will speak for themselves. Apart from that, I have handled well over 6,000 Smith basses of various woods. Having somewhat of a memory (lol on the somewhat), I rely on what I hear. It helps to have been a professional musician and bassist for 20 years as well as work with double basses that do not rely on amplification for the reproduction of sound.

Now, if you tell me you want the bass to be deep and smooth sounding as opposed to bringing out the audible mids, then yes, the Maple core of one of the varieties would be the choice. As far as Mahogany core goes, it seems to be more of a passive component with the more then double the density top wood used. With Top woods that are softer like Quilted Maple or even Tiger Maple or Walnut, the Mahogany is closer in properties for the mixing of tone.

We have probably used all three basic core woods (various types of maple's, walnut's, mahogany's) with almost every type of top/back that we have offered over the years. This includes 3, 5 and 7pc laminated wings.

There was a period of time when most all basses had mahogany cores. With that, I was able to judge the tones of the various top woods being that all the other parts of the bass were the same species, neck and fingerboard woods included.