View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Emmc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Ken, do you know anything about this import company, E.M.M.C.? I struck out on the Internet.

I am curious about this bass' original maker in Hungary, but know nothing else. Have you seen instruments similar in size and proportion, that you know more about? I really wonder who made the bass, in the first place.

The 20 3/4" wide upper bout is a bit unusual; I thought that you may have run across another one, in your travels...
I think Barrie Kolstein does or did business with them on a model he made and distributed thru them. Call Barrie and ask him. Also, why not ask Paul Nowinski? After all, it's one of several Romanian/Hungarian basses he's bought, modified and sold. Paul talked to me about buying some of these 'modified' Gypsy basses awhile ago. I passed on it. It seems from the work that Jeff did to correct everything that what was done in Brazil may have been a waste. Un-doing and re-doing is always more work than doing it right the first time.

I have had a few Hungarian basses come thru here as well and all of them needed some kind of tidying up in one way or another. All of them sounded good when I first got them and all of them sounded even better after the work was done. They seem to have some good wood over there as far as wood for making tone. It's just that the workmanship on the basses they send over is not always the best as far as meeting our standards here.

Glad to hear you found a match with your new bass. Enjoy it..