View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default End pin tweaking

Interesting couple weeks of end pin experimentation.

I needed a large diameter endpin because of my height and pin extension, and I like the positive locking of the New Harmony endpin mechanism, but the carbon fiber pin killed the punch and bloom in the low end.

In the past week, I experimented with .5 inch steel rod and pipe, then the steel pipe filled with various filler rods (steel, brass, etc., wrapped with tape in three places, so that they didn't rattle), to experiment with different masses.

Lots of A/B/C'ing...

My strongest preference, right now, is the solid .5 inch steel rod. The room-filling bottom is back. On the other hand, every option has its characteristic sound and feel. I find myself using different pins for different playing situations. Was playing duets with sax the other night and the hollow tube worked best. The sax player and I were both messing around between sets; him with his reeds, me with my endpin...

Interesting process and experiment. It confirms a post I read by Arnold Schnitzer, saying he had experienced the same thing when he removed the steel pin on another bass. When he replaced the steel, the sound returned.

It is also interesting to note that in the Chuck Traeger book, he is adamant about always using a wood or carbon fiber pin. I found the opposite to be true, in this case. The light pins caused the sound to dissipate and have no "center" or punch; the steel makes my bass louder, punchier, and fuller.