View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Continuing the endpin experimentation. Probably going to try stainlesss steel rod and brass rod first, maybe titanium rod, and probably some home-brewed, multi-layer brass tube + carbon fiber or stainless or titanium core.

I have clearly lost my mind, but then, who would notice? I am truly amazed at how differently the bass responds and sounds with various materials. I think that it is a further testament to the work Jed did that the bass itself is so transparent and responsive that the endpin makes such a difference.

Interesting website with (somewhat cryptic graphics) but interesting endpin notes and options (mostly for cello, but some bass). I have emailed some with the owner Mike Oishi, who has been great in his endpin-related thoughtfulness. He gave me info on a place that would custom make me a .5" pin, of any metal combination I wanted, but he encouraged me to experiment on my own, as a less costly option. Far down, on the endpin descriptions, he mentions Gary Karr currently using a brass and carbon fiber combo rod on his Ham bass:

http://frenchcellobow.com/products/endpin.html

(bass endpins are at the bottom of the page)

Plus here is a nice, easy, online metals source I just found, through my work (for rod and seamless tubing):

www.onlinemetals.com

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 09-24-2010 at 11:09 AM.