View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool endpins..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Continuing the endpin experimentation. Probably going to try stainlesss steel rod and brass rod first, maybe titanium rod, and probably some home-brewed, multi-layer brass tube + carbon fiber or stainless or titanium core.

I have clearly lost my mind, but then, who would notice? I am truly amazed at how differently the bass responds and sounds with various materials. I think that it is a further testament to the work Jed did that the bass itself is so transparent and responsive that the endpin makes such a difference.

Interesting website with (somewhat cryptic graphics) but interesting endpin notes and options (mostly for cello, but some bass). I have emailed some with the owner Mike Oishi, who has been great in his endpin-related thoughtfulness. He gave me info on a place that would custom make me a .5" pin, of any metal combination I wanted, but he encouraged me to experiment on my own, as a less costly option. Far down, on the endpin descriptions, he mentions Gary Karr currently using a brass and carbon fiber combo rod on his Ham bass:

http://frenchcellobow.com/products/endpin.html

(bass endpins are at the bottom of the page)

Plus here is a nice, easy, online metals source I just found, through my work (for rod and seamless tubing):

www.onlinemetals.com
I remember testing and listening to a bass being played with a normal steel rod and then the KC Strings fixed endpin. I noticed a huge difference in volume with the KC being much louder. The Bass was an old German/Vieneese style bass in a 3/4 size and not too heavy in weight either. Shortly after I ordered 2 of these from KC to go into my Gilkes and Martini basses, both of which I have since sold but I kept the custom sized endpins. One fits the steel rod size and on the CF (carbon fiber) rod unit. They are not always the exact length needed but sitting on a stool in orchestra I can adjust the angle of the bass to work.

On my bigger heavier basses, I didn't notice the same amount of improvement as I did on my friends bass that first time. Actually, with these basses I can hardly tell the difference as it's so slight.

One thing that hurts some basses is that steel rod when half of the length is still inside the bass and only about half extended. For this reason I cut all of the rods in my personal basses to extend only a few inches at most inside the bass once extended to the desired height.

With the CF rods, I don't notice much difference at all with the longer end still inside the bass. The CF seems to help tonally or maybe just not interfere with the sound if extended into the bass. Still, I use a cut down rod regardless or the KS fixed length peg.

Lighter weight basses seem to be more sensitive to different endpins to my ear over the heavier basses I have tested but this mainly with the CF or Steel pins vs. the fixed KC peg of mixed metal, CF and wood.

Also, on the older and heavier basses I mention they are also high grade expensive instruments with fantastic tone and plenty of volume. I think the current sound of a bass has more to do with it then just the weight as I tride this with my lighter weight Candi bass and it too showed little difference between long steel, short steel or KC Peg. The sound although slightly different each way was nothing to loose sleep over.

Finding the right string I think is a bigger curse and time sucker!