Thread: Smith Basses
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Posting Member

Jens Westerinen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
VERY very close.. As I recall, the BSR and the CR had slightly different names from what you've posted.

On the CR, Chuck Rainey's name was NEVER used in any form of marketing, advertisement or catalog. As a matter of fact, the first group of 28 Basses and the only group made were designed and completed before Chuck and I ever spoke about it. The 'C.R.' initials actually has another name but was only mentioned 'in-house'. When we mentioned the Chuck Rainey name there after we had to tell the Dealers who Chuck Rainey was. Some Bass players knew him but most didn't including the Dealers who seemed to need most of the educating. It was after Chuck was named a Smith Endorser than several other companies started approaching him. I guess the figured that if I thought he was worth endorsing then they would go after him as well. This has happened with us with other Smith players that were approached by companies but usually unsuccessfully on their part. The Necks and Bodies were made as universal fit like a production. The only problem was that some Necks would only fit 'some' of the Bodies. I had to personally match up the Fits back in the NYC Office/Shop where all the Set-ups were done until mid-1995 when we moved the entire operation out to PA.

CR = Crunch Resonator ... CR is so much easier to say and if Chuck Rainey was playing one (2 actually) then why not 'dub' it the Chuck Rainey model? Actually, he had nothing to do with the inception of the Smith Bolt-on Bass. The first initials thought of were actually B.T.B.O.. meaning B.T. (Bass Treble like the BT model) Bolt-On.. B.T. Bolt-On..

The BSR is also close. Body Shape Re-designed. 'Revised' is a possibility but just not the 'exact' word we chose.

Something tells me you had some help with your answers.

Good Job either way..
When did the first BSR leave your shop, Ken? What year?
Saw a BSR that claimed to have been made -95 but never seen one that old.