View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Mr. Who? from where?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkowalski View Post
hi ken,

first time posting here. after reading this thread for a few months i decided to take your advice. now, i have tried many strings in my day and have never been impressed with any strings for orchestra playing/solo playing. the best choice for me was always the flexocor (red bottoms) thin verison for the upper three strings and a stark spirocore for the E string. I tried the bel cantos and they where great sounding strings in the lower end of my old italian bass. but i hated playing anything in thumb position, the tension was just too much. since i am always looking for the best string i tried your eurosonics light tension for the upper three strings and the medium for the E string. at first i was a little sceptical, i like the way the strings felt with the bow and everything seemed easy for the left hand. the only problem was that it seemed the D string and A string were a bit tinny, bright, almost metalic sounding. the following week i was teaching a lesson and asked my student to play my italian bass with the eurosonics. after moving only five feet away i was blown away with the sound. the bright, tinny, metalic sound disappeared and the bass sounded louder and fuller then ever!! these strings are amazing, thank you ken for talking about these strings.
Ok, first off, message me with your real full name as required for the Forum and then update your 'Profile' with an actual location. Please, thank you.

Then, maybe instead of this,
Quote:
first time posting here. after reading this thread for a few months i decided to take your advice. now, i have tried
you can post like this in the future,
Quote:
First time posting here. After reading this thread for a few months I decided to take your advice. Now, I have tried... etc..
Oh, and the typos .. Late for a Gig with that old Italian bass?.. lol

Oh, and yes, these strings do sound good for the money on all of the Basses I have tried them on. Under the ear (like on so many basses and strings) they are not as pleasant as they are from a distance.

Because they do not make a low C extension string (and I like all 4 matched for sound) I don't use them on any of my regular Basses which are all Low C/Extension equipped. Other than that, they are a good string to add to the menu.