View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Ken,
I got around to trying these strings recently and I think they're fantastic.
Rich sent me a set called "light" but they are really a medium gauge to me and he commented that they were going to change the designation to that. Anyway, they pizz and bow very well and are therefore a great string for me to use to show my basses. I'm planning on getting two more sets asap.
Thank you for telling us about these strings.
Yes martin, I agree on that Gauge naming thing. Measuring these and the set they marked Medium while testing the samples I found them to be almost the same exact diameter for each string.

I call this Light labeled set 'Regular' gauge and the one they call medium, 'high tension'. I happen to have that 'medium'/high tension set right here at home on my '97 Shen/Gemunder 1000 model.

I agree that they bow well and Pizz well. They are not the best Bowing or the best Pizz/Jazz string one can buy but they do deserve a spot in line with them. My problem with these strings is not the strings themselves but the fact they don't make a c-extension model. I was told that their machine cannot make them any longer than they are now. Also, when trying these on bigger basses like my 4/4 Gamba or 7/8 Mougenot, they barely reached the most upper Tuning gear. The Mougenot is closer to a 4/4 in its string length need as the neck is quite long and the peg box is as well.

They are what they are to me. A good string that works well for the bow and fingers combined. The price is slightly cheaper than the Pirastro or Thomastik line of strings. Still, I use the more expensive ones because of the C-extension issue. I am not one to mix brands or styles within a set. I like the tone and tension even across the bass.

I am glad to hear you like them. I got just about 'zero' credit for helping with their design. My fingers remember them well from changing and testing strings but unless I tell someone, they will never know I was even involved in their development. I worked only with/thru Rich at JR and in turn, JR worked with Presto. Presto probably doesn't know I was involved unless someone tells them. No problemo, I just wanted the string in the end and got it..