View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ?$?makers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith View Post
What price range do these instruments fit into today?

Are there any specific bass makers attached to the region and this style?
No one I know has ever mentioned a maker or even an exact city or town where these are made. Some dealers here and in Europe also say they were made in Bohemia as well. This is basically Guitar/Lute style construction and not typical Violin style work.

Prices vary on how good the bass is including condition, sound and playability with string length in that mix. I have seen some in terrible condition with their original blockless neck still in that I would not give $200 for and the owner had paid $10k for it from a big shop calling it Italian. A total rip-off in my mind. I have also seen them restored where the Luthier left it Blockless. That in my mind is a huge mistake.

Then, I have seen some that were completely restored with a neck block and all cracks properly repaired as if the Luthier was restoring a fine old pedigree Italian bass with no corners cut on the work performed. One of those basses sold for about $15k about 15 years ago and will appreciate in value as time goes on.

I currently own 2 basses of this style and one I would say is German or Bohemian in style. By the wood itself, I think it is from the Austrian Tirol just below Mittenwald as it is the same kind of wood found on the old Mittenwald basses. Bohemian basses usually have little to no figure or if made near the Saxon border, might have that more wavy striped flame we are used to seeing rather then the small thin Sycamore type stripes on the Mittenwald basses. Basses made on the cheap for export will usually be made of cheaper plain wood. Basic economics.

The other one I have is a slight mystery but recently I had two European dealers in the shop visiting and they said, this is Italian work but Tirol made. In Europe, this bass they said would list for E35,000 Euros. I was quite shocked to hear that because here, we are closer to half that price in Dollars. At about $1.30 to the Euro, that is $45,000. I am only asking $19k for it. If I could confirm that it IS Italian and name a maker, shop or region, I could agree with them. But, with the history of these basses and their anonymous origins and even their commercial import in the early 20th century, even if made by an Italian, the Tirol style basses are associated with cheapness in a way.

Here is my Germanic Tirol Bass that currently is still in its restoration which will run in the $20k range alone. Being re-built with no less care than any old Italian I have owned.

Here is my Italian looking Tirol Bass that has been restored and came in with a neck block when we got it here. The Back and Ribs are plain flat sawn Maple but to the naked eye, looks like Poplar which, it could be but to me, looks like it has that fleck you find in plain Maple. The Top is flatsawn Pine and with a huge high arch as well. Very Stainer'ish. The Scroll looks Northern Italian as well which I have seen some traits of this on Mittenwald basses as well as some old English basses. You can tell me what it looks like to you. I am selling it as a Tirol bass, possibly made by an Italian or in the Italian/Stainer style. Whatever that means!

Ok, now that we are past that and my current personal basses, I must assume you either have one of these Blockless basses or are considering getting one. So, be it the case, I will warn you to make sure all the repairs are done to the same degree as they would be on a major Italian bass. If not, the repairs to be re-done to marketable condition could run more then they would to un-do and re-do than if the bass had been left alone un-repaired. Also, repairing one of these basses depending on its condition, could also cost more than the bass is worth in the end.

Considering all of that, inflation has proved to be the bass shop owners friend over time. Basses like this that were $75 new from Sears in 1937 (I have the ad from their catalog) are now in any decent condition selling in the low to mid thousands and more. Regardless of the price being low or high for what the bass is in that given condition, that IS the current market.

Knowing what I do about them and the cost to restore and re-build a blockless bass in various conditions, my view on prices are more realistic. I have seen blockless basses sell for $6, $8 and $10k. I totally disagree on those prices because, the cost to 'right' them with a proper block and neck (often with a new graft) as well as all the internal repairs is unknown at the time of sale.

As with any bass, including these, the more you know about construction and repairs, the better the decision you can make and negotiate.