View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Oliv/Spiro

Hey Calvin - I've heard of people using the Oliv/Eudoxa combo, but I think I might miss the growl of the spiros down low.

I've been playing with the Olivs+Spiros since I got that bass, and I've got no reason to change. Also, my teacher that I referred to in the previous thread who suggested them is Glen Moore, and I really like his sound. He still tries other sets, but seems like he comes back to the Oliv/Sprio combo too.

Charles - I'm curious to see your purfling. Is it a rounder teardrop shape? I've seen that on some other GA Pfretzschners. I've very happy with my bass for a jazz instrument. For awhile I thought it was a little too tight, and perhaps too thickly wooded, but after a couple years of playing it 20 hours a week or better, it's pretty loose and resonant. If I ever have to open it up, though, I'm sure I'll try to find someone experience in re-graduation to see if they think that would help it sing even more.

You can see my other bass elsewhere in this section - a German shop bass that had been regraduated in 1940. It's a little louder that the Pfretzschner, but it doesn't play as easily, in terms of the beck profile and even the body being significantly bigger.

b