View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
The raised saddle probably did more to alleviate the tension than anything. I think the tension is due to a geometry problem with the bass. I had one of my students here doing some odd jobs, so I got him to play the bass when he was done. It seems much more resonant to my ear.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I and my hands appreciate it!

Best,
Brian
Brian, if you have the time, go back to a normal saddle and compare. Then you can see exactly how much change the other things contributed without the saddle.

I used weich gauge Evah's on a few basses and the sound was just fine. On another bass I had solo Helocores and that bass was fine as well. I took them off and put them on my Cornerless bass for a bit and they sounded good there as also. I noticed that Christine Hoock has solo Spirocores on two different basses I have seen her play in YouTube, one of them the Tarr and one some Germanic style old bass. She sounds great!

So, after all is said and done, Weich or Solo gauge is not out of the question. Thomas, I don't know what basses you played exactly but some basses will work with solos and some not. The late Homer Mensch had a mix of Spiros on his bass, solo, weich and regular to make up his set. His bass as many know was one of the great memorable instruments out there.

Brian, it's good to hear you can tackle this on your own. Great skills to have on one's instrument especially with the great variety of repair styles out there in the field. I am still waiting to one day play the Heifetz.