View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Richard's Serious Thread About Getting Better on the Double Bass.

My life goal is to have my double bass playing down by the age of seventy five, eighteen years to go, and then I'll probably die. When I practise, or play a gig, I always try to isolate things that may be holding me back. Lately, for example, I've had a problem with not stopping the notes (with my left hand) firmly enough - this results in occasional squeaks and mainly occurs up the neck. I'm getting this one under control. I generally am pretty good at staying in tune, but there is one piece in my repertoire that I stray on - I'm presently dealing to this.
I also have a tendency to speed up. There, I've told you all my faults!
I think if someone asked me,
"Richard, what are, in your opinion, the most important aspects of double bass playing?"
I would reply,
"Obviously playing in tune and timing are vital. If you want people to like your playing, tone and phrasing come next."
I've just been reading an old book by Shinichi Suzuki (written in the 80s). He talks about how an infant learns language and how music can be learnt in the same way. He emphasizes practice - lots of it, and enjoying it. I probably do about an hour or two about every second or third day, and less on the other one or two, so my next endeavour will be to regularly go for three hours. Obviously what you practise is important.
So, this thread is a chance to talk about getting better on the big fiddle.
Don't be shy, have your say. Remember the old saying,
"Many hands make light work."

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 10-12-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: practice edit.