View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool talk about pitch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Here's a question - I've seen a couple of the regulars talk about pitch issues; I know Ken discussed this as a problem when switching between several basses for gigs. I'd like to know how serious these issues are - are you talking about quarter tones, or just the sort of thing where you can 'think' a slightly flat note into tune by rolling a finger just a bit...

I know that whenever I can spend an hour or so just working on intonation, it audibly improves - especially when doing major position shifts. But when other work interferes with practice (as it can do for months at a time), I tend to slide into notes a lot more when I move up and down the neck.
I can't tell you a specific measure of intonation issues. I can tell you this. When you pick up a bass and play a few regular licks and 'miss' either short or long on some of the notes, it's just plain out of tune. Playing the same bass even if the string length is the same, helps to play in tune with your hand and fingers knowing just where to go.

Currently I am playing only my Hart Bass as far as gigs and practice go. I do 'doodle' on the other basses for 'inventory testing' purposes but for actual playing, it's the Hart. The only exception is practicing at home on my 3/4 Shen/Gemunder which I have had since 1997.

Playing just one main bass makes a big difference to me ear. At home, I mainly just practice to learn the parts. I don't think all that much about intonation. It's fairly good on the Shen so I just concentrate on the music.