View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I hear you, my friend. I started my musical life as a violinist. I played in orchestras and graduated with an honours degree (all that seems another life time ago now). I've since played the bass in orchestras, though not big serious ones. I had my first bass lesson in 1976 and later took a few lessons with Harry Botham (ex LSO). I never had that many lessons on the bass - 'I'm formally self taught' to quote Jaco. I am eternally grateful for my classical training and would advise any youngster to get formal training, but I'm not interested in playing classical any more. I played an hour gig (to about eight people) last night. Just me and my bass - I called on a lot of skills and played pretty well (I think - I'm pretty honest with myself; after all I confess to having played some shockers in the past!).
Lately I've played with two excellent classical violinists - one plays in the NZSO and another was once concertmaster of the Tasmanian Symphony (I hope I've got that right). Both have beautiful tones and can read fly sh1t on a bathroom wall. The ex-TSO player runs a gypsy jazz band and has all her solos written out. I hadn't played with her for a long while, but was able to whistle along with her solos! The other guy played some jazz standards, in his repertoire, that consisted of him playing the tune about three times - no solos from anyone! In my humble opinion, both of these players were out of their depth when it came to playing a jazz style gig. All I'm saying is that there are two sides to the coin, both requiring a set of skills. The classical playing will only help the improvising player to a point - I don't remember Coltrane or Miles playing in many orchestras.
I'd better go, but I hope all is well in Perkasie my friend.