View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

edit: Ken posted while I was writing this, so my later post and not this one is a response to his.

I'll begin with how I came to be interested in fifths tuning. I think the first time I heard anything about it was in reading about Joel Quarrington who I'm sure you're all familiar with at this point. I read his website and various comments on the message boards. I quickly learned of all the other people who are tuning their basses this way, as well as the history behind it (3 string basses tuned GDA, etc.)

Last year I heard Mr. Q premier the Harbison concerto, which was commissioned by the ISB but the fact that Quarrington would be playing it did have some influence in its composition (open strings, harmonics, etc.) as did the fact that some might use orchestra tuning and some solo.

More recently I heard Joel perform the Bottesini Gran Duo Concertante, but by this time I'd already become interested in the tuning as something I might want to try.

Recently I've become increasingly frustrated with intonation issues on the bass. Intonation that coordinates well with the other string instruments (all tuned in fifths) is one of the benefits usually presented by a defender of this tuning. Another that usually comes up right away is the open, sonorous texture that the bass takes on - this is what really got me. I recently tuned my E down to a D to grab the low note for a certain passage. In doing this the overtone series that was created really did something for the sound of my bass, as did the slightly lower tension (and yes, you don't need to get on me about using some lower tension strings than my favoured Original Flexocor)

All this combined with my desire for the contra C (which I'd otherwise get an extension for) really makes fifths tuning appeal to me. The fact that I'm young and not too far in my education, but far enough to handle the bass alright also means that I'm at a good point to be re-learning the instrument.

Right now my biggest obstacle is finding an appropriate teacher. My most recent studies were with a player from the Toronto Symphony and it was a very fruitful time for my learning. I'd love to continue those studies but for now school and location get in the way of that. The problem is that all the TSO players and in fact many of the pros in Ontario all studied under the same teachers - specifically under Tom Monahan (then principal of the TSO) at the University of Toronto. All of these guys are very strong on their idea of the "right" way to play the bass - that is: french bow, std tuning with a C ext (many using machines still) and a very conservative Simandl left hand technique. While this is a great way to play the bass for much of the orchestral repertoire, it has its limitations.

I've got a few names and the list of pros tuning in fifths grows as students of people like Joel head out into the world.

That's all for now, but like I said, more later as I learn more and get closer to making the switch...