View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb John Frazier, Bristol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Hi all,
I'm currently planning a new instrument. I asked in TB about it, but as usual no one seems to know anything or care. Here is how it's described:

English, by John Frazier, Bristol 1892. Violin shaped, arched back, strong regular figure, golden varnish. LOB 1160mm.

Anyone know anything about this maker? I just figure I've got my lovely German 3/4 and I suppose it's time I get an English bass.

I am considering this instrument as an investment.

Cheers,
John

EDIT: Sorry no pictures at the moment. I've seen it 3-4 times without remember my camera!
I will need to see DETAILED Photos of this Bass, as many as possible. Straight boring shots, full and half. I want to see it all, and all angles/sides of the Scroll as well.

Now, he is listed only in the Henley and Jalovec Dictionaries of Violin makers. He is surprisingly NOT listed in the old Morris Book or the modern books by Harvey or Plowright.

In Henley he is listed as Johannes Frazier (probably from a label seen) working from 1880-1892 as a maker of Violas. Period!

In Jalovec he is listed as J. Frazier 19th and 20th century Violin maker. Producer of various kinds and shades of Varnish. Period!

Not much to go on here. Go and see Tony Houska at the Contrabass Shoppe and show him the Bass. Pictures here wont hurt either.

If not a wreck needing thousands to restore it or if not a re-labeled German import, go for it.