Thread: cool new tool
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Posting Member

Vince Jesse is on a distinguished road
Default cool new tool

Hi guys. Anyone use 'cello peg bushings to patch tuners holes in bass scrolls? I've found that it's real slick, especially when you're patching holes for the Rubner tapered metal spindles which are sized for a cello peg reamer. But sometimes the hole is too big or ragged for a cello peg reamer to clean up.

This came up for me again recently when I had to patch the holes in several scrolls. A U.S. outfit which I'll leave nameless decided to have some Rubner half plate tuner knock offs made in China. Anyone run into these yet? They're a disaster - the U shaped straps that hold the tuning key shaft to the plate is malformed and the tuners rattle.

Rob from Metropolitan music has generously agreed to make a custom 'cello peg bushing reamer under the Juzek tools line. The size is somewhat larger than a cello peg reamer and matches the 1/25 taper and size of a cello peg bushing.

Howard Core actually carries something they call a cello peg bushing reamer. The size is right but the taper is wrong - 1/17. So it's essentially smaller cello endpin reamer.

If anyone is interested the E.T.A. is sometime around the end of the year. Since he has to make batch of 5 or 6 in order to make it work I thought I would spread the word.