Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Default Which 'E' to match set?

I decided on recommendation of my luthier to purchase a set of Original Flexocores, and they work remarkably well with my bass. Dark, smooth and very powerful, especially the A string.

Although, I'm finding the E to be just excessively dark and "tubby". It speaks very slowly and doesn't have that growl I'm looking for. My luthier suggested a Permanent E or Spirocore Mittel.

Comments?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I decided on recommendation of my luthier to purchase a set of Original Flexocores, and they work remarkably well with my bass. Dark, smooth and very powerful, especially the A string.

Although, I'm finding the E to be just excessively dark and "tubby". It speaks very slowly and doesn't have that growl I'm looking for. My luthier suggested a Permanent E or Spirocore Mittel.

Comments?

Thanks!
Is this the same new Bass you have been fiddling with since its completion to get it working right for you?

I have played all of these strings and do not like the Spiros mixed with any Flexs. The Permanent is brighter yes but not the same tonal quality up front. The Original Flatchrome might be a better match tonally but the A string of that Orig Flex set is so darn thick, the Perm might be the best tension wise to match.

New basses can take time to break in. Give it some time. All of this change may not be so good for your bass either.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

I think that Bel Cantos would be a much better "break-in" set. I always feel it is better to go with a lighter gauge string for the first year. Play it in and then start working to find the "sound". You need to get the plates moving as much and as freely as possible. I think Flex's might "shut down" the sound a little more on a new bass.

IMHO
Brian
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
I think that Bel Cantos would be a much better "break-in" set. I always feel it is better to go with a lighter gauge string for the first year. Play it in and then start working to find the "sound". You need to get the plates moving as much and as freely as possible. I think Flex's might "shut down" the sound a little more on a new bass.

IMHO
Brian
I hate belcanto's. The man who made my bass suggested Original Flexocore's and they sound amazing.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I hate belcanto's. The man who made my bass suggested Original Flexocore's and they sound amazing.
Then I suggest using that set of strings. Obviously, they don't all sound great or you wouldn't be looking for an E String...
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

I remember Paul Ellison saying on a master class that Bel Canto was the best thing ever to happen to the E-string... I am under the impression that a fairly large number of players share his view there. That said, I think Ken is right that Flatchrome might be the best match. But, I play Eudoxa down there and Flatchrome on the top strings, and I have to say you adapt quickly to different types of strings. And yes, the Perm could be a wise choice as well. If you want the E to ring a bit more, I think you won't be too unhappy. I had a similar problem with Flexocor (only this was the solo 92's) and once I switched to a Permanent solo set, the bass totally came alive; the volume produced was truly tinnitus-inducing and the tubbiness down low had gotten way better. There are mixed feelings on the Perms in the double bass community, though...