Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Adams is on a distinguished road
Default How many Smith/Jackson basses were made?

Hi Everyone

Just joined recently and was going through the threads. I'm an original owner of an 1989 KS 5 String. Still have the bass. Great story on that bass and will do a thread on it.

I came across this bass on another forum. See below. It is described as follows:

"Its a Smith/Jackson 6 string. According to Owner this is #5 of the Smith/Jacksons made and was a NAMM show bass. Flame maple top and back. Mahogany core. Jazz bass string spacing. 24k gold hardware. Sweet inlays. 2 band pre (bass and treble) and coil switches for the pickups. Fun fact. John Pattitucci actually had dibs on this bass but Owner had the money before John did and sorta...ahem... bought it before John. And as we all know, John ended up with I believe #6 which had the walnut top...."

I really dig the whole vibe of this bass. I am thinking of trying to find one to purchase. Does anyone know how many of these were made in total? What year(s) they were made? Anyone here own one?

Ken - Can you tell without serial number if the description above is accurate? What does he mean by " Jazz spacing"? What would that spacing be? It looks narrower than my 89 which I believe is 18mm.

Many thanks and enjoy this beauty.

Last edited by John Adams; 03-17-2013 at 06:30 PM.