Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote
Default Velvet compas 180°

I'm really beating around the internet for opinions on strings these days so if you've read my posts elsewhere or I've contacted you personally, sorry for the repetition.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on these strings for a player doing almost all arco playing, split maybe 70/30 between orchestra and solo (classical) playing. I'm particularly interested if the low strings (E, ext E/C or low B/C) are strong enough for section playing.

I read some of Ken's old posts on TB, and it seems he had a set of the old recipe before Velvet reformulated these making them infinitely better for the bow. From the opinions of those who've tried the new ones, I've heard anything from "scratchy with the bow" to "the best bowing string I've tried". I'd obviously just go and try them myself if they weren't such a big investment! One thing that people seem to agree on is that they bow better than Obligatos and are in the same general "low tension" feel. Given that Oblis are more than acceptable to a lot of people, I wonder if this alone is enough positive indication for me to at least try them out.